Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fit Snacks



Since it’s that time of year where snacking is at an all time high, I thought it would be a good idea
to share some of my favorite snack recipes. I’d like to say that I always prepare these snacks when I’m having a sweet craving or just in the mood for something crunchy, but let’s be honest - sometimes you just need a damn donut. To help stay on track with your nutrition & still feel like you’re indulging in a few things over the holidays, I came up with a list of snacks that I’ve found, prepared & tried myself. Note: I’ll never post a recipe here that I haven’t tried. So, here we go…

Dark Chocolate Rice Cake – I used the caramel rice cakes by Quaker (medium size) & the dark chocolate melting coins used for baking (purchased at Wegmans). It’s amazing how good this snack is. I’ve always been a fan of rice cakes, they were my go-to when I was obsessed with dieting back in the day. I’ve always thought of them as a treat & these definitely taste like a treat.
Ingredients: 2 rice cakes & 3 to 4 dark chocolate melting coins
Step 1: Microwave coins in a glass bowl using 30 second increments (chocolate melts fast – careful not to let it burn).
Step 2: Using a kitchen brush, apply melted chocolate to top of rice cakes, spreading evenly.
Step 3: Set aside & let chocolate harden.


Found on Instagram: @befitsnacks

Banana Bites – I’ve never eaten a banana with anything, I’ve always enjoyed it by itself but now that I’ve tried these, a plain banana will never be the same.
Ingredients: 1 ripe banana, ¼ cup of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy), mini dark chocolate chips
Step 1: Peel & slice the banana into medium size coins.
Step 2: Apply peanut butter to the top of one coin, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter & top with another banana coin, creating a sandwich. Tip: I’ve also made these with grated dark chocolate instead of the chips. They’re both awesome.


Found on Instagram: @befitsnacks

Chocolate Chip Strawberries – Strawberries aren’t really in season at the moment and the ones I’ve found lately are a little questionable but this is a good one to try once you find those perfect strawberries.
Ingredients: 3 to 4 strawberries, ¼ cup of peanut butter (creamy), a handful of mini dark chocolate chips.
Step 1: Wash strawberries, cut stem & slice in half (long ways).
Step 2: Apply peanut butter to half of strawberry.
Step 3: Sprinkle chocolate chips & top with other half of strawberry.


Found on Instagram: @healthyfitnessmeals

Apple Slices with a Twist – I love apples so any kind of snack that incorporates them I’m up for trying.
Ingredients: 1 granny smith apple, ¼ cup of peanut butter (creamy), ½ cup of granola (I used organic honey oat granola from Wegmans), ¼ cup of sliced almonds (optional), a handful of mini dark chocolate chips.
Step 1: Wash & core the apple then slice into medium width coins.
Step 2: Spread peanut butter on top of each coin.
Step 3: Sprinkle granola & sliced almonds on top of the peanut butter.
Step 4: Sprinkle mini chocolate chips.


Found on Instagram: @befitsnacks

Yogurt Drops – These are a must try! Greek yogurt is always on my shopping list for the week because I absolutely love it. I tried these with vanilla & strawberry flavors.
Ingredients: Greek yogurt (whichever flavors you like).
Step 1: Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
Step 2: Using a plastic baggie, place 3 to 4 spoonfuls of yogurt into the baggie (specifically in one of the corners). Twist baggie at the opening to avoid yogurt escaping. Cut a small to medium hole at the tip of the baggie with kitchen scissors.
Step 3: Make drops of yogurt onto the parchment paper in penny sizes.
Step 4: Place cookie sheet in freezer until frozen. Remove with fork & place in air tight container. Store in freezer at all times, except when snacking. =)


Found on Instagram: @befitsnacks

Happy Snacking!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs