Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Focus



As I was scrolling through Instagram this morning I came across the following meme that was posted by Jackie Perez (@jackie585):


This caught my attention & is something that I need to tell myself on a regular basis. I’ve always compared myself to others, I think most women do. If you haven’t noticed, we’re highly competitive. We might be even worse than men – I take that back, we are worse than men. Women compare everything; whether it’s looks, clothing, significant others, athletics, employment, money…the list goes on & on. When I was younger, even in my late 20s, I constantly compared myself to other women. That all stems from a lack of self-confidence though, which for me at that time wasn’t very high. It wasn’t until finding crossfit that all of that changed. I no longer feel intimidated by other women. I’m usually the one that points out to my guy friends a woman that’s attractive. I’m also that person that will say, “Those leggings look awesome on her - she has a great ass.” I’m also one of those people that gives a compliment on what others are wearing; if I like it, I’m going to tell you. I know I love the feeling when others compliment me on things that I wear, so why not spread the love around - you never know when that one compliment will totally change someone’s shitty day.

Getting back to crossfit, I’ve found myself focusing lately on what other athletes are doing, how they’re improving & what their PRs are – not on my own shit. I think working through an injury, which I am at the moment, can steer your mind in a negative direction. Instead of working through the WODs & possibly PRing, you’re having to scale most movements & find a way to WOD with minimal pain. That can kill your momentum & leave you unmotivated; couple that with coming off a week long stomach bug equals a shitty combination.


So today I’m going to “focus on my own shit”. I’m not going to worry about what everyone else is doing. I’m going to focus on the now. Success will follow. 



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs